Office: 707-545-2904 x23
- Ocean vector wind retrievals from space
- Development of Scatterometer Geophysical Model Functions
- Climate Data Records
- Satellite data intercalibration
- Calibration/Validation of wind data including hurricane-force winds
- Water cycle and atmospheric circulation variability
- Statistical, spectral, and climate analysis of large data set.
Additional interests: Remote sensing of sea surface temperatures, precipitation, clouds; Tropical convection in General Circulation Models; Equatorial waves and tropical dynamics; Microphysics of aerosols; Numerical modeling of atmospheric chemistry and dynamics; Effects of aviation on the stratosphere.
- "Developing, Testing, and Verifying a Geophysical Model Function for RapidScat"; JPL subcontract, Jan 2014- Mar 2017
- "Improvements to the Vector Wind Climate Record Using RapidScat as a Common Reference and Aquarius/SMAP for High Winds in Rain"; NASA Ocean Vector Wind Science Team, Sep 2014-Sep 2018
- "Ocean Products from the GPM Microwave Imager (GMI) For Studying Climate Variability over the Oceans "; NASA Physical Oceanography, Sep 2014-Sep 2018
- "Precursors and Dynamics of ENSO Events from 25-years of Climate-Quality Satellite Ocean Observations"; NASA Physical Oceanography; PI: Antonietta Capotondi, University of Colorado. Mar 2015- Mar 2018.
- 2001-present: Scientist, Remote Sensing Systems, Santa Rosa, California.
- 1999- 2001: Research Associate at the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), University of Colorado and Climate Diagnostic Center, NOAA, Boulder, Colorado.
- 1998-1999: Visiting Postdoc, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado.
- 1997-1998: Graduate Research, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado.
- 1995-1996: Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Physics, University of L’Aquila, Italy.
- 1994-1995: Scientific consultant in Atmospheric Physics, Physics Department, University of L’Aquila, Italy.
- 2014-current: ISS-RapidScat Science and Cal/Val Team member
- 2009-current: NASA Ocean Vector Wind Science Team member.
- 2004: Member of site visit review team for a proposed NSF Science and Technology Center, "Center for Multi-Scale Modeling of Atmospheric Processes (MMAP)", Fort Collins, Colorado.
- 2002-2008: Member of the Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model (WACCM) Working Group.
- 1999-2008: Member of the Community Climate System Model (CCSM) Atmospheric Model Working Group (AMWG)
- 1993-1996: Collaboration with NASA/Atmospheric Effects of Aviation Program (AEAP).
- 2015: NASA Group Achievement Award as a member of the RapidScat Science Data Processing Team.
- Ph. D., Physics, University of L'Aquila, Italy, 1998.
- M.S., Physics, University of L'Aquila, Italy, 1993. Graduated Summa Cum Laude.
- Meissner, T., L. Ricciardulli, and F.J. Wentz, 2017: Capability of the SMAP mission to measure ocean surface winds in storms. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, under revision.
- F.J. Wentz, L. Ricciardulli, E. Rodriguez. B. Stiles, and Coauthors, 2017: Evaluating and extending the Ocean Wind Climate Data Record. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, early online release.
- Ricciardulli, L., 2016: Radiometer rain colocations with JPL RapidScat winds on L2B swath grid. Technical Report 081816, Remote Sensing Systems, Santa Rosa, CA, p. 6.
- Ricciardulli, L., 2016: ASCAT on MetOp-A Data Product Update Notes: V2.1 Data Release. Technical Report 040416, Remote Sensing Systems, Santa Rosa, CA, p. 5.
- Ricciardulli, L. and F.J. Wentz, 2015: A Scatterometer Geophysical Model Function for Climate-Quality Winds: QuikSCAT Ku-2011. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 32, 1829-1846.
- Meissner, T., F.J. Wentz, and L. Ricciardulli, 2014: The emission and scattering of L-band microwave radiation from rough ocean surfaces and wind speed measurements from the Aquarius sensor. JGR-Oceans, 6499-6522.
- Robertson, F.R., M. G. Bosilovich, J. B. Roberts, R. H. Reichle, R. Adler, L. Ricciardulli, W. Berg, and G. J. Huffman, 2014: Consistency of estimated global water cycle variations over the satellite era. J. Climate, 27, 6135-6154.
- Ricciardulli, L., T. Meissner, and F. Wentz, 2012: Towards a climate data record of satellite ocean vector winds, in Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2067-2069.
- Wentz, F, and L. Ricciardulli, 2011: Comment on “Global trends of wind speed and wave height”. Science, 334, 905.
- Meissner, T., L. Ricciardulli, and F. Wentz, 2011: All-weather wind vector measurements from intercalibrated active and passive microwave satellite sensors, in Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1509-1511.
- Ricciardulli, L., and F. Wentz, 2011: Reprocessed QuikSCAT (V04) Wind Vectors with Ku-2011 Geophysical Model Function, Technical Report 043011, Remote Sensing Systems, Santa Rosa, CA, p. 8.
- McVicar, T.R., Van Niel, T.G., Li, L.T., Roderick, M.L., Rayner, D.P., Ricciardulli, L. and Donohue, R.J., 2008, Wind speed climatology and trends for Australia, 1975-2006: capturing the stilling phenomenon and comparison with near-surface reanalysis output. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, L20403, doi:10.1029/2008GL035627.
- Wentz, F.J., L. Ricciardulli, K. Hilburn, and C. Mears, 2007, How much more rain will global warming bring? Science, 317, 233-235. Published Online May 31, 2007.
- Chun, H.-Y., J.-S. Goh, I.-S. Song, and L. Ricciardulli, 2007, Latitudinal variations of convective source and propagation condition of inertio-gravity waves in the Tropics. J. Atmos Sci., 64, 1603-1618.
- Rasch, P. J., M. J. Stevens, L. Ricciardulli, A. Dai, A. Negri, R. Wood, B. A. Boville, B. Eaton, J. J. Hack, 2006, A characterization of tropical transient activity in the CAM3 atmospheric hydrologic cycle. J. Climate, 19, 2222-2242.
- Ricciardulli, L., and F. J. Wentz, 2004, Uncertainties in sea surface retrievals from space: comparison of microwave and infrared observations from TRMM. J. Geophys. Res., 109, C12013, doi:10.1029/2003JC002247.
- Ricciardulli, L. and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2002, Local space and time scales of organized tropical convection. J. Climate, 15, 2775-2790.
- Ricciardulli, L. and R.R. Garcia, 2000, The excitation of equatorial waves by deep convection in the NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM3). J. Atmos. Sci., 57, 3461-3487.
- Weisenstein, D.K., M.K.W. Ko, I.G. Dyominov, G. Pitari, L. Ricciardulli, G. Visconti, S. Bekki, 1998, The effects of sulfur emissions from HSCT aircrafts: a 2-D model intercomparison. J. Geophys. Res., 103, 1527-1547.
- Pitari, G., L. Ricciardulli and G. Visconti, 1996, The ozone depletion during 1992 and 1993: a three dimensional study. In "The Mount Pinatubo Eruption", NATO-ASI series, I 42, 192-210, Springer & Verlag.
- Ricciardulli, L., G. Pitari and G. Visconti, 1996, 2-Dimensional modeling the time evolution of the Pinatubo aerosol cloud. In "The Mount Pinatubo Eruption", NATO-ASI series, I 42, 71-79, Springer & Verlag.
- Pitari, G. and L. Ricciardulli, 1994, Stratospheric denitrification due to polar aerosol formation: implications for a future atmosphere with increased CO2. Geophys. Res. Lett., 20, 1791-1794.
- Pitari, G., V. Rizi, L. Ricciardulli and G. Visconti, 1993, High-Speed Civil Transport Impact: Role of sulfate, nitric acid trihydrate and ice aerosols studied with a two-dimensional model including aerosols physics. J. Geophys. Res., 98, 23141-23164.
Ricciardulli, L., T. Meissner, and F. Wentz, 2016: Hurricane Matthew Extreme Winds and Precipitation from Space. Presented at the International Meeting of Measuring High Wind Speeds Over the Ocean, Novemeber 2016, UK Met Office, Exeter, UK.
Meissner, T., L. Ricciardulli, and F. Wentz, 2016: Ocean Vector Winds in Storms from the SMAP L-Band Radiometer. Presented at the International Meeting of Measuring High Wind Speeds Over the Ocean, Novemeber 2016, UK Met Office, Exeter, UK.
Ricciardulli, L., T. Meissner, and F. Wentz, 2016: Ocean Wind Climate Data Record. Presented at the EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, September 2016, Darmstadt, Germany.
Ricciardulli, L., and F. Wentz, 2016: Climate Quality Intercalibration of Scatterometer Missions. Presented at the Ocean Vector Wind Science Team Meeeting, May 2016, Sapporo, Japan.
Ricciardulli., J. Scott, C. Mears, F. Wentz, R. Hoffman, and B. Atlas, 2016: The Cross-Calibrated Multi-Platform (CCMP) Ocean Vector Wind Analysis (V2.1). Presented at the Ocean Vector Wind Science Team Meeeting, May 2016, Sapporo, Japan.
- Hurricane Matthew winds from space: A first look
- Extreme winds during cyclone Winston: A view from space
- Figure Skating, Ice Dancing, Ballroom Dancing
- Cooking: Cakes and Desserts
- Classical and Jazz Music